Whole Wheat Belgian Chocolate Chip Waffles with Coconut Caramelized Bananas.
Is there anything better than some good ol’ chocolate chip waffles???
- prep time: 20 MINUTES
- cook time: 10 MINUTES
- total time: 30 MINUTES + 15 MINUTES OF REST TIME
- MAKES ABOUT 6 WAFFLES
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups coconut milk (may use whole milk or your favorite milk)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, whites + yolks separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I also like to add the seeds from 1 vanilla bean, but you do not have to)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 -3/4 mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (use more or less to your liking!)
- vanilla ice cream, powdered sugar, fresh berries and maple syrup, for serving
- Coconut Bananas
- 3 large bananas
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut rum (optional)
Melt the butter and coconut oil together in a medium size sauce pan. Once melted, remove from the heat and add the coconut milk, stir to combine. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk. Whisk in the egg yolk, vanilla and vanilla bean (if using) until combined. Let sit five minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour and salt. Pour in the butter/milk/yeast mixture and stir until just combined.
Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir a small scoop of the egg whites into the waffle batter to lighten the batter, then fold in the remaining whites with a spatula.
Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Cover the bowl and allow it to sit for 15-30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
Meanwhile, prepare the bananas. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil.
Slice the bananas in half, and in half again, so you now have four slices of banana. Repeat with the remaining bananas. Once the skillet is hot, add the bananas and sprinkle them with brown sugar. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip and cook another minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and slowly add the coconut rum.
Preheat a waffle iron. Coat the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in the iron to just cover waffle griddle. Close and cook as per manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (OR whipped coconut cream), warm bananas, a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup if desired. Oh, and of course some fresh berries!!
*You may use equal amounts of white flour or do half whole wheat, half white.
*Reblogged from Half Baked Harvest*
*The Perfect Breakfast In Bed For Mother’s Day! *